On this episode of the PME podcast, I welcome back Ian Easton. Ian recently published a book called The Final Struggle: Inside China’s Global Strategy.
Topics of discussion include:
- The prospect of China invading Taiwan and an update from Ian’s first book, The Chinese Invasion Threat
- Is Xi Jinping on drugs? Hard to tell. But Ian does mention that his dad and sister were purged. He also spent seven years living in a cave.
- We discuss “Xi Jinping Thought” which is Marxism infused with Xi Jinping’s worldview and his political philosophy.
- How China and Xi Jinping use euphemisms to promote dark ideas. For example, the idea of constructing “A Community of Common Destiny for all Mankind.”
- S. policies toward China and how previous administrations have and have not recognized threats from the PRC
- How TikTok poses a direct threat to U.S. national security
- China’s social credit system which uses big data analytics and mass surveillance
- How China uses predatory economic policies to its benefit while hurting the U.S.
Ian Easton is a Senior Director at the Project 2049 Institute, where he studies defense and security issues involving the People’s Republic of China. Previously, he was a visiting fellow at the Japan Institute for International Affairs, a China analyst at the Center for Naval Analyses, and a researcher for the Asia Bureau of Defense News. Ian holds an M.A. in China Studies from National Chengchi University in Taiwan and a B.A. in International Studies from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. He studied Mandarin at Fudan University in Shanghai and National Taiwan Normal University in Taipei.
Books and Resources
Buy the book, The Final Struggle, from Camphor Press or Amazon
Ian’s first book: The Chinese Invasion Threat
Previous interview with Ian on The Chinese Invasion Threat
Follow him on Twitter @Ian_M_Easton and at the Project 2049 Institute
HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
If you like the interview and want to hear others, subscribe in iTunes, Spotify, or Audible. Support the show with written reviews, share on social media, and through word of mouth.
I recently started a Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/pmecomplete Please consider showing your support for the show by becoming a patron.
To request additional shows or guests, e-mail me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the website: www.professionalmilitaryeducation.com